His promise.........Jeremiah 29:11

I live in Shelbyville, KY with my awesome husband, Tim, and our incredible 8 year old son, Joseph. I was born and raised in Chattanooga, TN and moved to the central KY area 15 years ago when Tim and I married on August 14, 1993. My time in KY has been a huge blessing in my life and I look forward to seeing where the Lord will lead me.

Name:
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, United States

Thursday, August 07, 2008

What are you reading?

Everyone seems to have their favorite type of book...fiction, science fiction, biography, romance, self-help...whatever. For me, it's fiction. I don't really get into science fiction and I find the majority of biographies boring. Even self-help books leave me sleepy...which is sad because the good Lord knows I need any help I can get ;-). I have to say that my favorite type is Christian fiction. Some people don't really see the point in this type of book, but I have gone to scripture because of these books time and time again. Some I have read are retellings of stories in the Bible while others use scripture throughout. I finished two "retelling" books in the last month and I rank them at the top of my favorites list.



Kenny Kemp is an excellent writer who wrote "City on a Hill" and "The Welcoming Door". I have previously written about "The Welcoming Door" and how much I loved the book. "City on a Hill" is no different. Kemp has a great way of taking the parables of Jesus and retelling them from the perspective of Jeshua in the story. While a work of fiction, it bring these short parables to life for me and pushes me to turn to the scriptures and read them. This recent book was full of insights into what Jesus' family may have been like. His relationship with his mother and father are something that people throughout the ages have contemplated. Kemp's interpretation of the parables, in addition to his thoughts on Jesus' family life, are interesting. No, I do not see any of it as fact, but rather entertaining and thought provoking. If you are looking for a great book that will keep you coming back for more then this book for is you.




I was introduced to Francine Rivers' book "Redeeming Love" by Kari when I told her I was looking for a good read. She really came through for me. I cannot say enough good things about this book. I will say, however, that this book is more for the ladies. :-) Some men might be able to read this book and enjoy it, but I can't think of any in my life. ;-) Rivers wrote this book as a retelling of the story of Hosea and Gomer. When I first heard that I was intrigued, but worried at the same time. The minor prophets have not been my favorite books in the bible, so the idea of a 464 page book retelling one of them scared me a little. Boy was I wrong!!! This book changed me. It was a difficult read from an emotional perspective, but I still had a hard time putting it down. I finished it on Tuesday night and have since reread Hosea. I have a new respect for this book in the bible and a new love for the minor prophets. I plan to take the next few months and read these books with fresh eyes. Girls...go get this book!!! You will NOT regret it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home